Friday, May 1, 2015

Laughlin Cartoons From Sports Collectors News - The Collectors

I recently received a large amount of material from Dave (from the fantastic blog The Topps Archives and author of The Modern Hobby Guide to Topps Chewing Gum: 1938 - 1956) related to RG (Bob) Laughlin.

David has been going through old issues of Sports Collectors News from the mid 1970s, and has found a number of interesting items, including reviews of some of Laughlin's various card sets, ads for his cards and his newsletter "Inside Pitch", and a cartoon series that he did called "The Collectors."

I'd like to start off sharing some of the cartoons that David sent:


Back in the days when kids still flipped cards


This really brings back memories - How I used to enjoy going to the grocery store and checking out all the Hostess boxes for cards that I didn't have


A nice twist on the story of mom throwing out the baseball cards


I will be sharing more of the items that Dave sent over the next few posts.  I'd like to say Thanks! to Dave for passing along all these great scans.

2 comments:

JeffB said...

Very cool. I love Laughlin's art ever since I was a kid and bought the World Series set of cards with his artwork. I also collected the Famous Feats as well. I can't wait to see more.

Marty said...

Really looking forward to seeing the ads and SCD articles. Bob eventually published a small booklet that contained many of these "Cardtoons" - thanks to you and to Dave for making these items available!