Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Fleer Stickers That Never Were - USFL Edition

I came across a great item on Pinterest where someone designed USFL helmets in the style of the 1977 - 1980 Fleer Team Action stickers:


I also like that the creator (Gumball) uses the Fleer logo for their name.  Very nice touch.

I never saw a USFL game in person, but do remember watching some of them on TV.  Since I was not born when the AFL formed, and too young to remember the WFL, it was exciting to see the start of a new league.   Its a shame the league wasn't able to survive.

If you haven't seen the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL", I'd highly recommend you check it out.  Its a great look back at the league.

4 comments:

Fuji said...

These are really cool. I'll have to look into the documentary.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Carolina Panthers stole the design from the Michigan Panthers.

Jim from Downingtown said...

My buddy & I went to a Philadelphia Bell (WFL) game. It was the last time I was at JFK Stadium.

Vince Papale was on that team.

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Any idea where to find 1969-71 Fleer logos? I'm looking for the 1971 Fleer logos for the Tigers, Senators & Pirates.
I assume there are no 1969 Pilots, Senators & Expos. I've been reading this blog since 2008. Thanks!