Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Brooks Robinson!

As a few bloggers have already posted, today is Brooks Robinson's birthday. Brooks is celebrating his 73rd birthday today, and I'd like to wish him a Happy Birthday!

I'd also like to thank him for this:


This is a picture that my father took of me and my brother at the opening of a Crown gasoline station in the late 1970s. Brooks was a spokesperson for Crown, and was on hand for the station opening.

Brooks was very pleasant to us as he signed autographs for my brother and me, and was glad to pose for the above picture that my father took. My father had the picture blown up as an 8 x 10 that he had framed which I proudly displayed in my room.

A few years after the picture had been taken, Brooks was in town for another signing, so I took the picture and had him autograph it. Again, he was as friendly as could be, and complimented me on how much I'd grown since he'd seen me last.

All the great things people say about Brooks are certainly true, at least from my experiences with meeting him. I've been fortunate enough to meet him a few times, and each time has been a very enjoyable experience.

Brooks - if you ever happen to come across this post, thank you for being such a great ambassador for Baseball, and for the great memories you've provided for me and all of your other fans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats a wonderful photo and great memory, I'm sure. I too had the honor of meeting Brooks several times throughout my childhood and even had dinner with him once. He was warm and patient every time, even through all the questions I peppered at him. He was terrific with everyone. I've never come across a negative account of him.