Saturday, March 17, 2018

Blog Bat Around: My Current Projects

Thanks to Night Owl for kicking off this latest Blog Bat Around.  After reading about his current projects as well reading posts from other bloggers who have posted, I thought I would join in.

 
Here is a look at my various card collecting interests, and what I am currently focused on for each:

Baseball Sets

Collecting baseball card sets is my primary focus.  As I have discussed before in a previous Blog Bat Around, I am a completist, so the main enjoyment I get from collecting is completing sets.

I have completed Topps flagship baseball sets from 1964 through 2017.  I must confess though that for about the last 30 years, I have just bought Topps factory sets as my primary focus has been building vintage sets rather than building current sets through opening packs.  While I miss the enjoyment of building each year's current set, I would rather focus my efforts on vintage cards.

Sets I am currently working on: 1960 & 1963 Topps




I've got about 1/2 of the 1960 set completed, and I'm down to only needing 6 cards for the 1963 set.  Unfortunately the cards I need for '63 are guys named Rose, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Koufax, and Clemente, so I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck at needing 6 for a while. 

In addition to Topps, I also collect all other brands that were issued in the 1980's (Fleer, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck), and have complete sets for all of those brands up through 1991.

As for the sets that I have completed, I am still working on some of those sets in terms of:

Upgrades -  from the sets I built in the 70's, there are still some cards like checklists that are marked, and cards that are not in the greatest condition that I am working on replacing.  I'm also trying to improve cards that are terribly off center.

Errors / Variations - for the sets that I have completed, I'm trying to go back and build master sets that include all variations.


And finally, I am also purchasing 1990s sets - my goal is to have every major set issued from each year that I am collecting.   Right now I'm trying to fill in the gaps in sets that I don't have from the early 1990's.  That includes trying to put together all the insert sets as well.

Given the over production from the era, it is pretty easy to find some great prices on sets from this time period.  In many cases though, the shipping costs more than the set.  Once you add in the cost of a binder and pages, I end up spending more on the set than it is worth, but I enjoy being able to look at my cards in binders.  If the cards are all packed away in boxes, then I never look at them, so I am progressively working my way through the sets that I have and putting them in binders.

Realistically, I think I will stop this project of completing all sets for a given year towards the end of the 1990's as there are just too many different sets by late 90's that I'll never be able to complete (and will never have enough room!).

One project that I have taken on where I am actually building some sets from the 1990s are 2 parallel sets - 1994 Score Gold Rush and 1994 Pinnacle Museum.   I was able to pick up some lots for each of these sets, and have enjoyed trying to build them a few cards at a time.



Fleer Items

Now we get into the items that are the inspiration for this blog!

I've always loved all of the different Fleer items with team logos, as evidenced by all the different sets I've covered on the blog.

Sets I am currently working on:

1969 Baseball Pennants and Stamps - This is one of my favorite Fleer issues given the multiple logos on each sheet.  I'm down to only needing 2 sheets, but these things are almost impossible to find.


1967 Baseball Emblems and Fact Cards - These are much harder to find than the 1968 versions.   I still need quite a few 1967 patches and fact cards.


 

1960 - 1962 Fleer Baseball Decals with Red Backs - Another Fleer variation that is very hard to find.  Still trying to find a couple of teams.

 
1976 Iron Ons - I'm a few teams short of completing this set as well.


 Football Sets

In addition to collecting baseball sets, I also collect football cards.  I've got complete Topps sets from 1966 though 2015 when they lost their license.

My next goal would be to collect the 1965 Topps set, but given that set contains the Namath rookie, I've decided instead to work on the 1964 - 1967 Philadelphia Football sets.

Sets I am currently working on: 1964, 1965, and 1966 Philadelphia (1967 is complete)



Oddball

I love oddball sets!  Oversize cards, posters, coins, stamps, stickers - I want them all!

My most recent completions were the 1971 Topps Coin set, the 1989 Topps Talking Baseball set,  and the 1988 - 1990 Topps Big sets.





Sets I am currently working on:

1971 Topps Greatest Moments - I'll probably never finish this one as the SP cards are ridiculously expensive, but I love the look of this set.


Topps Sticker sets - 1985 & 1986 Topps Baseball, 1985 & 1986 Topps Football  - I'm trying to finish complete runs of the Topps Baseball and Football sticker sets from the 1980s.

1982 Kellogg's Raisin Bran NFL Posters - Need a few more teams to complete the set.


1970's Food Issues

As a kid growing up in the 1970s, the Kellogg's and Hostess sets were a great way to get additional cards since Topps was the only game in town.  I have fond memories of checking the backs of Hostess products looking for cards I needed and always wanting more Frosted Flakes to get another card for my set.

I've been able to finish a complete run of the Hostess panels from 1975 - 1979.



I've completed 1972 - 1983 Kellogg's.



I haven't started 1970 or 1971 yet, but they are on my list to start working on.


I also have the 1970 Kellog's Football set, but need to start the 1971 set.

Basketball

My interest in basketball is limited to the Topps sets from the 1970s and early 1980s.

I've completed 1973-74 through 1979-80.

I'm currently working on the 1980-81 set, except of course I need the Bird/Johnson rookie.



Non Sport

Wacky Packages - Wackys were the first thing I ever collected.  Before I'd ever seen a baseball card, I had been gotten caught up in the Wacky craze.  I blame the checklists that came in every pack for making me the set collector that I am today.

Seeing those checklists with all of the titles I didn't have made me want to keep buying packs until I could mark off every box on the checklist.  I've been hooked on collecting sets ever since!

I've been able to complete the original 1st through 15th Series, as well as reissues and most of the All New Series that were released since 2004.



Sets I am currently working on:

Wacky Packages 16th Series - The ultra rare 16th Series that most people at the time of its release were never aware of.  Most collectors never knew about the series until Topps did reissues in 1979-1980 that had stickers that people had never seen before.

I've only picked up a few of the stickers in this set so far.  They typically sell for at least $50 a piece, so this is another project that is probably going to take a very long time to finish.

Other Non-Sports:

Topps Evel Knievel - I was fortunate that this limited Topps issue was released where I was growing up.  I was at just the right age to get totally swept up in the  Evel Knievel mania.  I had the toys and my friends and I would set up ramps to see how many Tonka trucks we could jump over on our bikes.  I'm down to needing only 2 cards to complete the set, and have about half of the stickers.


Topps Beatles cards - I have always been a huge Beatles fan, so naturally I would be interested in collecting Beatles cards.  I'm down to just needing a few to finish a complete run of all the Topps Beatles sets.


Charlie's Angels - How could I not collect these growing up in the 70's?  I've got the card sets, but still need some of the sticker sets.


Star Wars - Same situation.  Have all the cards from the original 5 series, just need to finish off the sticker sets.

Card Related Items

In addition to cards, I also collect wrappers and the boxes the cards came in.  My goal is to have a wrapper and the box the cards came in from every set that I have collected from as far back as the 1960 Topps set I am working on through the end of the 1980s and the wax era.  I've got quite a ways to go with this project.



Once you start getting into the 1990s with foil packs and the explosion of sets, it just becomes too much to try to collect.


There is much more I would like to include in this review. but I think I'll stop here as this is getting pretty long, and covers my main focus areas of collecting.   If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

11 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

Wow, some very unique and interesting collections there, stuff you normally don't see. My effort to collect Fleer baseball stickers is one of my favorite endeavors, second only to collecting Angels cards. And I've said it before, you are my favorite blog. Keep up the good work.

BillK21093 said...

Question:

On the 1967 and 1968 Fleer Team Facts cards they state collect all 19 cards. Why not 20 cards, one for each team in the league at that time (pre expansion 1969) ??

Also I have some extra Score 1994 golds if you have a trade list.

Bill

Fleerfan said...

Bill - Great question on the Fleer Team Fact cards. The answer is there is no Astros card for either year.

Topps had a similar issue. There are no Astros logos on the 1968 or the early series of 1969 Topps Astros cards, presumably because of licensing issues with the Astros logo.

Much more information can be found here:

https://fleersticker.blogspot.com/2008/01/you-cant-call-them-astros.html

Fleerfan said...

Angels In Order - Thanks for the kind words! Just let me know if there are any Fleer items you are looking for. I'll be glad to help if I have anything you need.

Billy Kingsley said...

I'm glad to see someone else collects the boxes and packs. I save all of mine.

night owl said...

Awesome, awesome stuff.

I never thought to collect the Hostess panels instead of the individual cards. I may have to ruminate on that for a bit.

Fuji said...

I think if I were to go back and do it all over again, I'd collect the same exact stuff as you. I love all of the vintage oddball issues you have. Great stuff.

sg488 said...

Good luck on that 71 kelloggs set,very hard to find.

bbcardz said...

Wow, awesome post! I just posted my own "Blog Bat Around" post on my newish Stadium Fantasium blog:

http://stadiumfantasium.com/blog-bat-around-what-i-collect/

I"ve only checked out about ten other "Blog Bat Around" posts on other blogs and I must say that what you collect is easily the closest to what I collect. Your collection is considerably broader than mine (I collect almost no basketball nor anything earlier than 1969) but I'm still impressed. btw, I just had to add your blog to my blogroll.

GCA said...

You've done really well on your set builds! I've been at it since '78 or so with a pause during the junk wax era, but still have several 60's Topps sets to go. The only Kelloggs set I have is '70. They're really nice. Might have to knock another one out soon.
I have some early 80's wrappers if you need any. Topps, Donruss, Fleer (cards and card size stickers) from a few different years.

Penno55 said...

I have some 1967 Fleer cards which have 6 kids names at the bottom which you can peel off and place in a space e.g. The Knuckler, The Home Run King...I cannot trace these anywhere...anyone know anything nabout them ??