Thursday, September 29, 2011

NFL / Navy Bumper Stickers from the 1970's?

I came across some bumper stickers that appear to be a promotion by the NFL and the US Navy which feature individual teams and the tagline "go (NFL team) go Navy":


The look of the helmets leads me to believe they were probably from the mid to late 1970s.

They are certainly from before 1982 as the Bengals sticker features their original helmet


The thing I find interesting is that there does not appear to be any NFL Properties trademark on the stickers.

Here are two stickers placed near a ruler so that you can get an idea of the size:




Here are the other teams I was able to find:





I would assume there is a sticker for each team, but so far I've only been able to find pictures of these 8 teams. I'll keep adding pictures to the post if I come across any more teams.

UPDATE:

Steve from the amazing The Cowboys Guide sent me a picture of the Cowboys sticker:

Thanks Steve!

3 comments:

Steelers58 said...

Keep it coming! Now I have one more Steelers thing to get so please let me know if you discover one before I do. I would bet the NFL let the Navy use the logos without worry or else the Navy just didn't care!

Tom said...

The Navy calls their recruiting giveaway items RADS (recruiter aid device, I believe). Hence the designation in the lower right corner. Go Chiefs!

Sam Kemp said...

I came to Navy Recruiting District in 1972. It was a joint NFL/Navy Recruiting Campaign. To the best of my knowledge all teams participated. I still have 2 Go Cowboys Go Navy stickers.